Hydrangeas seem to be at their most stunning this year, so what is the best way to care for them and keep them looking at their best?
Here are some tips:
- Water the Hydrangea throughout the growing season. Large Leaf Hydrangeas require more water than other varieties. It helps to use a soaker hose in order to apply the water deeply and directly to the soil and keep moisture off the flowers and leaves. Watering in the morning is preferable as it prevents the Hydrangea wilting during the heat of the day.
- Add mulch underneath your Hydrangeas to help keep the soil cool and moist.
- Apply fertiliser based on your Hydrangeas needs. Each variety has different needs and will benefit from different fertiliser applications.
- Large Leaf Hydrangea need several light feeds of fertiliser in March, May and June.
- Oakleaf and Panicle Hydrangeas do best with two feeds in April and June.
- Smooth Hydrangea plants only need fertilisation once, in late Winter.
- Choose a pest and disease resistant Hydrangea when choosing your Hydrangea. Pests are uncommon on Hydrangeas, but can appear when plants become stressed.